BBG, in partnership with USAID, the National Institute of Health, the Pan American Health Organization and the U.S. Department of State organized a Washington, D.C.-based training for health reporters from Haiti.
VOA trainers discussed the following issues, among others.
- Ethics in health journalism
- Sources (protection, verification and validation of sources)
- The use of social media in health journalism
- One on one interviews
- Mock press conference
- Feature analysis
- Health scenesetters
- Editing video for TV and editing video for mobile equipment including iPhones
- The rights of the patients (how, when and where to interview a patient)
- How to prepare for an interview in a hospital/clinical facility
- Definition of terms (i.e. “pandemic, “epidemic”, “endemic” and many others)
- Protecting yourself and your gear while visiting contaminated sites (Ebola, H1N1, Cholera, etc.)