About Our Networks
– Voice of America partners with the University of Texas on intercultural dialogue between student leaders in Austin and Afghanistan.
– NextGov mentions BBG as one of several agencies that have participated in the Virtual Student Foreign Service program.
– George Woodward passed away.
– El Nuevo Herald (South Florida Newspaper) detailed how the Martis have established a network of journalists and citizen reporters all across Cuba and have transitioned into a multimedia operation using additional avenues like social media, SMS text messaging and the distribution of DVD’s and flash drives with content. Humberto Castello, Director of Central News is quoted as saying that the goal is to “reach the audience in any way.”
– Al Adwaa Net (Yemeni newspaper) published an article on the role of Al Arabiya News Channel in igniting sectarian and ethnic conflict in Iraq. According to the article, the U.S. government launched Radio Sawa and Alhurra to improve America’s image in the Middle East.
Citations of BBG Networks
– AP cites RFA report on five dead after attack on militia in Xinjiang.
– Wall Street Journal cites RFE/RL reporting on Iraq crisis.
– Yonhap cites VOA report that number of North Korean defectors obtaining refugee status dropped to 71 in 2013.
– Foreign Policy cites RFE/RL Russian Service reporter’s questioning of why an inexperienced reporter was sent to front lines.
– Syria Direct cites Alhurra report that Jordanian officials said that they will reinforce Iraq-Jordan border.
– Korea Times cites RFA report on crisis plans developed to manage potential flooding in North Korea.
– Albawaba News (Egyptian news site) cited Radio Sawa report that armed militants belonging to the Ansarullah Huthi rebels opened fire at security patrols carrying out their duties in the capital.
– Sada Elbalad (Egyptian news site) cited Radio Sawa report that U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry arrived in Cairo on Sunday to meet with el-Sissi in the highest-level American visit since the new president took office this month. Sec. Kerry will also meet his counterpart Sameh Shoukry.
– Ambassador Ryan Crocker’s op-ed on Iraq.
– 19 projects for strengthening the internet.
– North Korea unhappy about new James Franco movie.
– Pizzeria in Russia beats Amazon to implementation of drone delivery program.
– China wants “internet sovereignty.”