U.S. international broadcasting is providing in-depth local coverage of the death of Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty’s (RFE/RL) Radio Mashaal and Voice of America’s (VOA) Deewa Radio each broadcast daily in Pashto to Pakistan, providing news and information through an extensive network of correspondents throughout the country. In addition, VOA’s Urdu Service provides a daily, reliable source of news for its audience in Pakistan via radio, television and the Internet.
Experts available for media interviews, commentary and analysis:
* Fawad Ali Shah has been covering the events from the scene in Abbottabad for RFE’s Pakistan Service, Radio Mashaal, and is available to discuss the situation via phone (+923349166981) or email (email@example.com).
* RFE Associate Director of Broadcasting Akbar Ayazi can provide expert analysis on the political situation among the Afghan, Pakistani, and American governments. Akbar is a veteran of Afghan media, and served from 2005-2009 as director of RFE’s Afghan Service, Radio Azadi.
* RFE Pakistan Service (Radio Mashaal) Director Daud Khattak has been coordinating RFE’s on-the-ground coverage of the events just outside of Islamabad. Daud is an expert on the region and is a regular contributor to “Foreign Policy” http://afpak.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/04/07/talks_with_the_taliban_in_pakistan
* Spozhmai Maiwandi- Director, VOA South Asia Division, for coverage of reaction in the region.
* Gary Thomas – VOA National Security correspondent, on U.S.-Pakistan relations and impact on the anti-terrorism fight ahead.
* Al Pessin – VOA Pentagon correspondent, on the impact on the U.S. war in Afghanistan.
* Jim Malone – VOA National correspondent, on the reaction of the America public.
Contact: David Borgida, VOA Public Relations, 202-203-4959
* Tarek El Shamy, Alhurra’s Cairo Bureau Chief, for reaction from Egypt.
Contact: Deirdre Kline, Middle East Broadcasting Networks, 703-852-9250, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the BBG visit www.bbg.gov.